Careers with UpShift
UpShift Strategies is seeking a smart and creative Director or Senior Director to join our growing team of communications strategists fighting for progressive causes.
At UpShift Strategies, we help organizations develop messages and strategies that break through, engage audiences, and win. We left jobs at big communications firms, nonprofits, and Capitol Hill, and came together to be closer to what energizes each of us: the issues, the clients, and the fight.
We're a small firm because we know from experience that winning requires staying on our toes. Our size means that each of our clients gets our individual attention. And our diversity of experience means that we look at the full picture and offer a tailored approach every time.
We’re hands-on strategic thought partners for organizations, deeply engaged in strategy and implementation. We combine traditional and digital communications, marketing, organizing, and earned media to deliver results and win. At UpShift, we work only with clients and issues we passionately believe in, and we enjoy taking on challenging fights.
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced strategic thinker who is well-organized, creative, works well under tight deadlines, and sweats the details. The candidate should have a track record of developing and executing strategic communications plans and/or previous agency experience. We’re looking for someone who is eager to learn and grow their experience with us and our clients.
We’ll want to hire you because you are:
● Passionately committed to positive social change;
● An excellent writer with experience communicating complex issues to varied
● Experienced in a combination of strategic communications, media, digital
communications, organizing and public affairs;
● Someone who understands how media and news cycles work;
● Familiar with and interested in state and national advocacy issues and
● Able to shift gears in a fast-paced work environment while still keeping
focused on long-term client and company goals;
● Eager to help build something;
● Flexible, collaborative and resourceful.
And you have already:
● 5-7 years of relevant experience;
● Worked at an agency, campaign, or advocacy organization;
● Understand the changing political and communications landscape;
● Connected traditional and digital communications to effectively reach a
At UpShift you will:
● Manage mid-to-large-sized accounts;
● Provide strategic guidance to clients;
● Help in the new business process;
● Help with the development and mentoring of junior staff;
● Work alongside a team excited to take on big challenges and make a
UpShift Strategies is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workplace. This position is preferred but not required to be in Washington, D.C. The initial salary range for the position is $65,000-$90,000 (depending on Director or Senior Director) with benefits that include health insurance and generous vacation and paid time off.
If this sounds like a good fit for you, please send your resume, cover letter and a writing sample (a recent piece of work that you were primarily responsible for) to firstname.lastname@example.org.